Tuesday 27 May 2014

  
         

Meet ALEX, our latest muse and Australian artist on the scene. Located in the small coastal town of Dunsborough (just out of Perth) ALEX can be found (between shifts at her day-to-day job) working on her web store, painting huge walls and turning everything she touches into something rad.

So tell us a little about you... 
What is your name?  
ALEX

Where are you from? 
Dunsborough/Perth in Western Australia. 

What do you do? 
Turn everything I touch into something rad. 

How long have you been making rad art? 
Just over 1 year now. 


Who inspires you the most?
My friends inspire me the most. There is always heaps of ideas floating around. 

What does a typical day in the life of ALEX look like?
If I’m not flat out working my job in Dunsborough, I’m in Perth painting what ever I can find. I usually wake myself up pretty early so I can get a good day of creating underway. Most days I work from home switching between current projects, like pinning patches to t-shirts, working on my web store, or painting various found objects. Although on super cool days I’m out doing fun things like styling film sets, painting giant walls or going to exhibitions. 

Do you create art from home or a studio?
I work from a studio at my home, it’s cosy, but at times it’s far to small for the project I’m working on.

Are you organised or love living in chaos (like me)?
I try to be super super organized, it frustrates me when things are lying around the place. Although, because my studio is small, it looks like there has been a party in there most days. 

What essentials do you need to get in the 'zone' to start creating?
Mostly just a cool idea and good music to complement it.


What is currently in your bag?
So many unidentifiable pieces of screwed up paper. I’m a self confessed hoarder, and I stash so many stupid notes or boring parking tickets in my bag. There are the more essential and useful things in there as well, like my iPhone, paint pens and wallet. 

Can't stop listening to?
Labyrinth Ear, The Soft Moon and Catlips !! 

The best thing about being a girl is...
Having soft skin. 

What is your favourite thing about living in Perth?
Living in Perth is cool, people say there is nothing to do, those people don’t have a good grip on whats going on. Coming originally from a tiny country town, believe me, there is stuff to do. 

What does Perth have in the way of an arts scene?
The art scene is pretty small but rich with talent. So far it’s been easy enough for me to swim and not drown. It’s really fun because everyone just about knows each other and parties along. 


Something we would not know about you is...
I am an introvert. 

What can we expect to see from you in the next 6 months to a year?
Currently I’m working on my web store, where I will be selling prints, originals, zines, patches, and all sorts of other crap I make. My friend GIRL and I are co-operate a free zine  called Loser Unit, which details short extracts and interviews form all kinds of creatives we think are doing good things. We will hope fully have issue 3 out in time for a giant warehouse exhibition we are planing for in a few months. I’m also hoping to soon release a small run of altered T-shirts that I have been making and combining it with a solo exhibition. Many, many, more things too !! So keep an eye or 2 out. 

Favourite place on earth is? 
Next travel Spot? Why?
I haven’t travelled very much yet, so the best places I know of so far are Dunsborough and the Boranup forest ! GIRL and I are planing on going to Sydney very soon, and possibly back to Bali to get some things sorted. I would love *LOVE* to go to Japan and adventure around Europe as soon as money and time allows. 

Favourite Australian Artists?
In Australia, Anthony Lister - Best advocate. 


Go and check out more of ALEX's creations at:
Instagram: @alexjustspat
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alexjustspat







0 comments :

Post a Comment