Saturday 31 May 2014


It goes without saying: the fashion and beauty industries work hand in hand. We 
have been so lucky to work alongside many talented hair and makeup artists. At 
our intimates shoot, I whisked local Brisbane MUA, Joel Richardson, away from 
his makeup kit and picked his brains!



What inspired you to pursue a career as a makeup artist?
 My interest in the industry started at a very young age. I would watch You Tube videos and just knew I aspired to be a makeup artist.


What are you working on right now?
I am currently working on one of my biggest dreams, starting my own makeup line. I never thought I would be in the process at such a young age but I wouldn’t change anything for the world! I’m also working on some big shoots for the campaign, which is really exciting.


Your cosmetic line is due to be released any day now; did you find the process exciting? Also, when can we get our hands on some!
 The process is very exciting and quite nerve wracking, but yes the products will be available soon off my website.


Considering all you have achieved so far, are people surprised by your age?
 To some extent yes, I’ve always been doubted a lot because of my age but that makes me strive to do more! Just because I’m young doesn’t make me any less capable of achieving such goals (I always say).


Who are your biggest inspirations and what do like to draw inspiration from when creating a look?
 My biggest makeup inspirations would be Rae Morris. She has commented on a lot of my work and given me the confidence to follow in her footsteps. I also look up to Max Made, who is an incredible male makeup artist. When creating looks I like to grab a face chart and draw all my inspirations, then make them come to life through photo shoots.


What is your number one most favourite product of all time and why?
My fave makeup product of all time has to be Channel foundations!! They are beyond perfect. I hope to create great foundations just like these in the years to come with JRich Cosmetics.
Where do you see yourself in five years time?
In 5 years I hope to be more involved with celebrities, red carpet events and most definitely having JRICH COSMETICS nationally recognised.  


How would you describe your personal fashion style?
My personal fashion style is between hipster and high fashion.


If you weren’t a Makeup Artist what would you be doing?
I would probably be a police officer, sounds a bit silly but it is what I originally set out to do many years ago.


Do you have any advice for other young people considering a career in this exciting industry?
Never give up!! It will be tough but that is what makes you stronger! Never think you can’t do something; because you can, and you will.


 If you would like to see more of Joel’s work or purchase some of his beautiful cosmetics head to his website

P.S. If you’re really cool you would also check out his insta!
@jrichcosmetics








0 comments :

Post a Comment