Wednesday 19 June 2013


You’ll find this guy behind the lens at the end of a catwalk in a high-fashion runway show. It has been an exhilarating start to 2013 for Ashley Cook and his photography, and at 21 years of age, the future’s looking ever-so-bright.

How long have you been snapping for and why did you start?
I think I bought my first setup around 2010. I got really into it through surf photography with a friend. Then I took the chance at fashion shoots at the start of 2011.
How would you describe your style of photography?
I mainly shoot Fashion Photography but in the past I have taken a lot of Surf and Oceans shots, but Fashion is where I want to be.
With my style I try to capture the image of a model in minimalist environments and aim on having the model look really natural, focusing on the composition and all the natural lights around them.

What drives and inspires you in Photography?
A lot of different things inspire me, I go through different stages. I might be driving somewhere and find a rad location I want to shoot at, or I'll see a set of images on tumblr that I love and want to try and re-create.

In your personal opinion, how hard is it for young photographers to get their work out / get recognized these days?
It’s pretty hard; I really think it depends on who you know and where you are based. If you haven't already made a "name for yourself" or you don't have any connections no one really gives you a chance when starting out. You do really need to have a solid Portfolio under your belt before trying to seek out work for magazines or labels.

What have been some of your highlights so far?
In 2011 I entered a photo from one of my very first Fashion Photoshoots into the Rayban Pedestrian Photographer of the Year Awards, it made it to the Top 20, and I think about 3,000 people entered, I couldn't believe it.

The next highlight for me would be the 2013 Loreal Melbourne Fashion Week. I applied on the last day of accreditation, selected every show hoping I would get it, then I found out I got approved for everything, I couldn't believe it. It was definitely one of the craziest and enjoyable weeks of my photography career so far.

What are your future goals, how do you see yourself taking your photography further?
I've been planning to move to Melbourne with my girlfriend for a while now, there’s a lot more work for photography down there compared to the Gold Coast. During LMFW I actually met an editor for this new Fashion Magazine called "Loki Magazine". I did some work for them while I was at FW they loved my portfolio. When I move down I'll be one of their photographers hopefully. My dream is to have my own studio that I can run, and then in time maybe move to London. 


Written by Natalie Lane

0 comments :

Post a Comment