Wednesday 22 May 2013





Two years ago, Eve Dadd broke her small-town barriers and moved to Melbourne city, in pursuit of becoming a designer.
Now on the brink of studying a Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) at Melbourne’s Royal Institute of Technology, everything seems all so serious and on track, but her side project allows her to explore a more eccentric side of her art.
Here’s what Eve said to say about her dreams in design…



How long have you been illustrating for and why did you start?
I guess it runs in the blood a bit because Mum has always been good at art, as well as my uncle and my Nana. But only just recently have I started thinking seriously about making a living from it.
How would you describe your style and/or genre?
Hmmm, I like to draw things that are weird and will make people look twice, I guess you would call it dark art? I use to only use black and white but now I’ve ventured more into colours, which I am really enjoying.
What drives and inspires you in your illustrations?
In particular, video clips, cats, birds and mouths/eyes. 
I don’t have the best internet connection at home so whenever I can get to fast internet I just YouTube everything that I’ve been missing (mostly in the pop LA kind of sense of things cause they always have the best colour and kitsch-ness and the most ridiculous ideas and themes).
The mouth and eyes are such an integral part of life…we use them to communicate, love, hate, envy etc. and they’re just so damn sexy!
OH WAIT! And of course I cannot forget the lovely city of Melbourne. Waking up, jumping on a tram and just seeing the city and the people in it should inspiration enough for anybody!

In your personal opinion, how hard is it for young designers/artists to get their work out / get recognized these days?
Well anybody these days can start a blog or stick their shit all over their Facebook, Insta, Twit and whatever other million places on the net you can do that with. All of these applications make it so easy to get your stuff out there, the problem is the amount of stuff that’s out there. 
The hard part comes in trying to create something that is your own and that will stand out from the others.
What have been some of your highlights so far?
Having some of my works exhibited in Brunswick St Art Gallery at the end of 2012 was pretty cool.

What are your future goals, how do you see yourself taking your art further?
I am currently completing my application for mid-year intakes to study Fine Art, which I am super excited about. I would love to put my study towards working with friends to one day open up a gallery/shop. It would be interesting to do some kind of collaboration one day…fashion collaboration would be the best! 
My friend and I went to see Grimes when she came out, and I don’t know if you’ve seen her art but it is SICK!
 Anyway...I was going to chuck something up on stage with my contact details and an example of my art saying, ‘Hey Grimes I’m Eve, let’s have an exhibition together!’, but unfortunately I was just too much in awe to even really move. So that is still on the to do list! [laughs]
Check out Eve's work at: http://evedadd.tumblr.com/



Written by Natalie Lane

2 comments :

  1. This stuff is awesome, love the colors and attitude. I would wear these designs any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you work. Of course there ia sooooo much more that you could share!! Have a look at her tumblr page to see what i am talking about!!!

    ReplyDelete