Tuesday 7 May 2013




Debra Lim, freelance artist and illustrator, creates life on paper with her colour palette, and we’re in awe of her work here at Everland! We had a chat to Debra to see where she finds her inspiration…

How long have you been illustrating for and why did you start?
I grew up in very creative environment, so arts and crafts had a big imprint on my childhood. I’d say it’s been a little over a year since I started to really concentrate on bettering my skills and getting my work recognized.
How would you describe your style and/or genre?

The majority of my work usually resembles a muddled-mix of childlike humour and creepy ideas. I enjoy tying in the strange with the ordinary in the aim of creating something refreshing and unusual.

I don’t like to box myself into any distinct niche because I feel like that doesn’t allow myself to grow and progress freely, especially this early on.
I tend to hop between mediums whenever I get bored (ahem tiny attention span), but watercolours are my staple.

What drives and inspires you in your illustrations?

Anything! Okay I know that everyone says that but honestly it’s the truth. Just recently I was in the supermarket and had a sudden fixation with frozen food packaging.

In your personal opinion, how hard is it for young designers/artists to get their work out / get recognized these days?
The Internet is an incredible outlet for artists to gain exposure. Especially because everything can be created, uploaded and accessed in under a day. That being said with the immense amount of talented artists out there and easily available, I believe that it can be quite challenging to stand out.
What have been some of your highlights so far?

So far just receiving really encouraging and sweet messages and getting to create artwork for others is really awesome and motivational.

What are your future goals, how do you see yourself taking your art and designs further?
I want to continue in my efforts to get my art more recognized and hopefully be happily creating and designing in the future. If this simultaneously allows me to travel more and collaborate with others I can’t say I wouldn’t be ecstatic. 
As for right now I’m in my last term of a Diploma in fashion and technology and after that I’d love to be working somewhere in a happy medium of fashion and art.
Take a look at all Deb’s wonderful pieces at:
http://www.facebook.com/DebsLimArt

Written by Natalie Lane

0 comments :

Post a Comment