Thursday 11 July 2013


Ariel O’Connor, Brisbane-based Freelance Artist has been creating, exhibiting and publishing all throughout 2013. Incorporating rebellious ideology, intriguing symbolism and femininity, Ariel has an exciting prospect as a young artist, and here’s what she had to say to Everland...

How long have you been an artist for and why did you start?
I have always felt naturally inclined towards an artistic means, but I really started 'becoming' an artist around four years ago, when I really started to develop a style. There is a mystery behind putting your work out there and watching people discover or decipher what you've meant by making that mark. It's nice knowing my work has a difference in significance for everyone and I love to observe my audience observing; it brings me a secret joy to see these people, people I know and don't know enjoying something so personal to me; and that is why I started; to lend a piece of me to other people! 

How would you describe your style?
My style is all about a simple complexity; a simplified image using a complex method about a complex meaning. I am trying to show an unconventional strength; what I consider strength but what isn't typically considered so. I use line as it creates an up-close delicateness, yet a boldness from afar and a unity and totality. This line is a graphic and modern way to portray an image through a different means to traditional art. I like to incorporate a rebellious ideology, if you like; a few satanic symbols or gestures set to challenge and intrigue. It is mainly centred around influential lady figures, because they promote strength and femininity and strength in femininity.      
What drives and inspires your art?
People inspire me. Particularly strong female figures like, Frida Kahlo, Marilyn Monroe and more modern figures like Claire Boucher (Grimes). These women present a control, an attitude and a power or strength. I like what they say, what they stand for, what they mean and what they present to our society. I like to challenge traditional societal opinions and principles and bring a new meaning to what it is like to be a woman. All of this aside, I really enjoy what I do and I want to be an artist until the day I die; that is my biggest motivation.    
In your personal opinion, how hard is it for young artists to get their work out / get recognized these days?
It can be pretty hard for an emerging artist to be seen and heard. I mean, there are so many ways to be seen nowadays and so many people who want to be seen, that it becomes confusing. However, if you are diligent and are constantly questioning organisations and people already within the art based community it becomes a much easier road to walk down!
What have been some of your highlights so far?
I currently have a few pieces exhibited at a cute little boutique called, The Collective Store, in my home suburb, I have recently had a piece exhibited in Lust for Life and Lady Fest Brisbane's 'Viva La Femme' exhibition, I have recently had a few pieces printed in local zine, 'GoldToast' and am currently participating in RAW:Natural Born Artists 'Elevation' showcase. But my most satisfying highlight has been the support and always generous and positive feedback from friends, strangers and customers!
What are your future goals, how do you see yourself taking your art further?
I would one day like to own my own local art gallery/bar/cafe and support independent artists struggling to make a name for themselves, just as I have. I'd like to make a difference to the lives of people. I'd like to challenge and provoke thought through my art. Mostly I'd like to make an impact and possibly change the way people think about independent and youth art. 


Instagram: @hellviticus_  


Written by Natalie Lane

0 comments :

Post a Comment